Whispers of Forgotten Ages

Starpeaks Part 1

Role-Playing

Artifax begins to lose consciousness… shortly after Maralen shouts the location of the parts headed to Starpeaks and flees those in the hallway make out the sound of metal on metal and the light in the main chamber is snuffed leaving only that light radiating from Dylan’s sunrod. You struggle against the tentacles that continue to try and ensnare you. You can hear the breaking and splintering of bone from up ahead. Such noises spur those still within the grasp of the tentacles to move with haste out of their range.

What seems like an eternity ends as those under the effects of fear begin to think more clearly and moments later the tentacles behind you dissipate and silence overtakes the group.

As you re-enter the burial chamber you walk by the twisted bodies of Hull’s men who apparently succumbed to the powerful embrace of the black tentacles and beyond them there is no trace of Hull or the Deuce but you can make out a fallen form before you near the stone tomb of an ancient wizard. Dylan and Alahan hear the distant clash of steel and some concussive explosions that ring through the rock. Ahead of you the secret tunnel is dark but clearly the sounds are coming from somewhere further up the passageway.
Once you approach the body you notice that Artifex-5 is inert and staring up and the ceiling with his chest cavity open and items missing. At this moment you two see Maralen walk up and she hears and sees everything you have (her knowledge arcana is high enough to know Artifex is not dead but just inert). [With that I’ll allow actions and interactions starting in this room; you can respond by commenting on this thread].

Comments

Alahan Takes a second to cautiously search the area for the duec and if no sign of them remains, will quickly run up to arifax and use his a charge of cure light wound from his infinite wand. If that is not enough to bring him back then I will use another charge, depleting it for the day. Maggie will track to also make sure the deuc has indeed left and do so by scent.

Starpeaks Part 1
 

A quick perception check (high roll) you do not see or hear the Deuce. Maggie can tell that they went back through the secret tunnel via scent. You hit Artifex with two cure light wounds but the spell energy doesn’t appear to be as effective as you are used to seeing. [I have artifex at -13 HP. Max cure light is 18 (1d8+1 correct) which is halved because he is warforged leave him still inert but at -4 HP.]

Starpeaks Part 1
 

Maralen decides to try her healing hex on Artifex-5 [Kevin approved and rolled a total of 15 hp healed, which is halved for being a warforged, leaving him w 7 damage healed.]

Starpeaks Part 1
 

If and hopefully when Artifex awakens, his blue lights glow brightly (shedding light as a torch), and he suddenly realizes that his chest is open and seems somewhat confused. Looking around for his bag he sees that he is smoking a bit and heavily damaged (about 40 HP below his adjusted max after the earlier drain). He casts Repair moderate damage on himself 3 times (2d8+6 per cast). He then turns to Maralen and Alahan and thanks them for their timely aid. “Note to self: Next time we encounter those two, I will be enhancing my fortification against their deadly blades. Perhaps I will build a humonculous or mechanical pet to help guard my back as well.” He then suggests that they thoroughly search the room for his bag or any other hidden things, asking Maralen to sweep it with her magic vision.

Starpeaks Part 1
 

[Artifex is functional with 3 HP.] As Justin is on the road I’m going to have him search the bodies and he finds: 8 doses of poison (large scorpion); 5 potions of cure light; 3 potions of cure moderate; 2 potions of bulls strength, 1 potion of cats grace; 3 med studded leathers (MW-Med); 3 crossbows (MW-Med); 3 MW short swords (med); 20 gold & 60 silver; 3 weeks rations. No bag of holding is found in the room.

Just at the lip of the secret passageway there is a small trinket about the size of a coin. It is a little pyramid with four sides (d4 shaped) with draconic writing on it. Maralen quickly feels the magical aura emanating from the object. Detect magic will reveal similar writing on the object but just as unintelligible. Knowledge (local) [I rolled for the party] tells Dylan and Maralen that is is likely the calling card of the Deuce. As you relay this information (correct me if you wouldn’t) Dylan and Alahan hear boot steps getting closer from somewhere down the passageway…[While there is little danger I’ll allow you all to take actions as you wish until I’m home and can provide the last piece of this scene].

Starpeaks Part 1
 

Dylan, who has been extremely silent and taciturn since the battle with the duece, wearily steps forward and draws his dueling blade, extremely slowly for him, and readies an attack ( thanks for the sub in Charles, i should be able to respond later tonight. the portal page had a great mobile set up)

Starpeaks Part 1
 

Sorry I just cut some of this from my notes but I doubt there are too many typos:

As footsteps near you a deep voice rings out of the darkness. “Be at ease my friends the danger has passed, it saddens me that you have come to so much harm.” Moments later you can make out a tall figure striding towards you all will haste. Depending on your characters perception skill [I won’t roll] you soon after make out another shape striding beside and slight behind the first. Soon the two burst into the room sparing less than a glance at any weapons that are unsheathed. The speaker moves closer to the group and has in his hand a small token that is the center of a light spell. He’s well pass his middle years and his black hair is streaked with gray, but his eyes are sharp and his back still straight. His armor is undamaged though his tabard is singed and in some places burned away and soot adorns his chainmail.

Hanging back near the secret passage stands a cloaked figure with a bow on her back. After seeming to stare out into the passageway for a few moments she turns partially towards the group and speaks as she lowers her hood, “Come off it old man,” she says with a smile and a strange Aundairan accent (Linguistics to identify) “these folks aren’t lookin’ for speeches”. Where the older man’s posture bespeaks command this young woman stands like a spring ready to jump, knees so slightly bent, calm yet alert. Her eyes are large and quite primal while her hair seems unkempt and thick. As she smiles again you may notice slightly enlarged canines and sharp incisors.

The older man introduces himself as Saul ir’Vasin Battle Lord and one of the High Captains of the Knights Arcane (knowledge local DC 25; DC 30 for more) as well as Commander of the Starpeaks Defense force (a large name for a small group of soldiers, rangers, and a handful of knights arcane). His associate introduces herself as Marga first of the rangers and Saul adds that she is also one of his two captains. Saul relays what sounds nightmarish. Two groups of soldiers lost on their way to meet the party, one buried beneath a rockslide on the road above and another, including a sentry golem buried in the tunnels not far from where the party stands. He pulls a familiar sack from his belt and asks if it belongs to you (it is the bag of holding sans pearl or power, infinite wands and the boxes). “We found this after engaging two nasty little changelings. I cut the woman when we fell on them with surprise but the caster decided to try and cook me in my armor for that offense. Suffice to say they weren’t interested in fighting long and were able to teleport away before we could act further.”

He offers to take you above and lets you know that it’ll take two hours to reach the base of the Starpeak Castle that sits beneath the observatory.

Starpeaks Part 1
 

Dylan steps forward with a familiar spring in his step, returns a warm smile to Marga ( got a 17 linguistics and a 27 diplomacy for her) and jokes that he sure that almost killing me and my friends weakened them some, definitely Artifex’s body must have dented her daggers a bit. He then tells them a very quick version of our tale, including Hull and the theft of the items and graciously accepts their offer of escort to the observatory. He does inquire about the location of his and his companions horses as well. Asking leave to retrieve them when time permits

Starpeaks Part 1
 

I am Alahan Il’ari of the Valenar people, and a guide to this group. I feel compelled to act counter to my very “open” companion. I let my guard down already today when i allowed other seemingly upstanding people headed by a Mr Hull, lead us directly into a trap instead of following my instincts and leading the group myself. We lost our charge and almost lost a life as a result… This will not happen again. With all due respect, EVEN if you are who you say you are, we will make our own way (he says with a stern and proud glare obviously distrustful). OOC Sense motive for those familiar with Alahan might realize he is actually very upset at what transpired with the fearing, artifex and the loss of the box, he is angry in his own way and somewhat ashamed but his pride and stern demeanor does not give up that info easily (Rolled bluff 17).

Starpeaks Part 1
 

Dylan can tell that her accent is that of western Aundair, or as people call it there, the Eldeen Reaches. Marga looks Dylan and Alahan over. Alahan may be slightly reminded of the look a lion give gives its prey, but only for a moment. Saul begins to insist that they accompany the party and that Keeper Larhut charged them with this duty but Marga interrupts, “They have no way of knowing if this has all been silvered to set them up for another failure. Saul you know that I won’t try to convince someone to go against the gut.” With that she grabs a small bag from he waist and proceeds to fish through it for a moment before pulling out a medium sized map case that she tosses to Alahan. “No one but the keeper, Saul, and the first ranger has a complete map of these tunnels and caves. These are mine, use them or not I expect them returned to me promptly or I will surely hunt you down my little druid.” She delivers this all with a smile that doesn’t quite touch her eyes.

She informs Alahan that if he decides not to use the maps he should head up and will be met with a choice of heading towards fresh air or deeper into the cavern. She tells him that the logical choice will take them toward the sheer cliffs to the west while the other will connect to tunnels and caves beneath the compound that are used for growing food. Any of the acolytes there will be able to help at that point. With that she turns her back and heads into the tunnel. Saul looks around annoyed but before speaking seems to relent internally. “I will see you all topside. Think not that I will be pleased to come looking for you, I hope you have two strings for this bow” (he hopes you are prepared and cautious). He then withdraws down the secret passageway.

Starpeaks Part 1
Anatexxis Anatexxis

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.